We love books around here!! They are overflowing from my shelves, which really could use a makeover. Homeschooling four kids means that I buy a lot of books! I have built a library over the last five years because I want my kids to have a variety of reading selections. We have history books, science books, literature, classics, art books, living math books, fun books.............and most of these I bought used. Here are my top ten places to purchase used books.
(1) The Well-Trained Mind Forum - this forum lists a hundred plus books per day. I get email notifications when new books are added.
(2) TheHomeSchoolMomUsedCurriculum@yahoogroups.com - this is a yahoo group that you will need to subscribe to. I get emails in a daily digest, which means I get one email per day instead of hundreds of individual emails.
(3) Used_Homeschooling_Curriculum@yahoogroups.com - another yahoo group to subscribe to.
There are a lot more used book sales groups, but these are the two that I have kept. If you want more, just do a search for "used books" on yahoogroups.com and tons of choices will pop up.
(6) Abe Books - I know a lot of people have found good deals here, but compare your pricing first, as I have not always found the best deals.
(7) McKay Used Books - this is a HUGE used book store! There are a few of them so search the website for one in your area. (I can spend days looking through this store!!)
(8) Local homeschool groups host used book sales annually. I seek out other groups in my area and inquire about their annual book sales and visit those as well.
(9) Consignment Sales / Yard Sales - these places sell their books for pennies!! The Bargain Watcher is a great place to find local sales in your area.
(10) Your local Library Book Sale is a great way to get really, really cheap books. Our library hosts a Used Book Sale every 3 months and I have found tons of books for $1 or less. Some books may not be in the best shape on the outside, but still readable on the inside.
Do you have any good resources for buying used books? Please share them!
This post has been linked to Top Ten Tuesday. Head on over and check out the other links!